Or should I say 10 things that made me “thankful” since it is, after all, Thanksgiving.
- Gas prices dropping below $3!!!! I cannot remember the last time we saw these prices. My real question now is whether we as consumers will begin to see lower prices because transportation fees are less and/or lower air fares? Somehow the cynic in me doubts those savings will be passed down. Oh well….it is nice while it lasts.
- Christmas movies all day and all night on The Hallmark Channel!! I am in heaven, especially on those nights when I wake up at 3:00 a.m. and cannot get back to sleep. It”s beginning to look a lot like Christmas…..
- A thank you card from my daughter. Just a quick email while she was waiting to catch a plane but it made my day, my week and my month. When we are raising our kids there are years (think teens and early 20’s) when we wonder if we have done it right. But I am here to assure you that there is nothing more wonderful than to have your 20 something “child” begin to live his/her life reflecting things you taught her and, even better, actually voice their appreciation for no reason, just because they want to tell you what they are thinking. Melted my heart, brought tears to my eyes and all those other things Moms do when they are just so damn proud of their kids!!!!
- Design always makes me happy and this month was full of it. I updated a master bedroom and rescued it from the outdated eggplant and gold and into a softer sage, purple and cream color scheme just in time for my client to undergo knee surgery and rehab in her new bedroom. I also made a few small changes to my own dining room with a new rug and I love this understated but oh so comfy border rug in neutral shades from Pottery Barn. Really brightens the space and I like the unusual square shape.
- A hint of rain in San Diego, with more to come. California is suffering a major drought but, believe it or not, too much sunshine can get awfully boring. Our temps have been warmer than usual and you can hear mumblings from people, especially women, that we are very tired of wearing our summer clothes!
- The San Diego Chargers!!! Their games are truly never over until that final second ticks off the game clock. Can you spell Super Bowl?
- Gymnastics class with my delicious Ella Bella. Our almost 3 year old granddaughter has started gymnastics class and while she is no Olga Korbut (yet) just to witness her unharnassed joy in running around on rubber mats and cross bridges and balance bars with no fear brings joy to me.
- An organized garage. We finally emptied out a storage unit that we have had for over 20 years. Not only a big monthly $ savings but there is something fulfilling about reducing the amount of “stuff” we own.
- The opportunity to get to know our nephew who has recently moved here from Arizona. My how they change over a 20 year period! As we get older we are reminded more often of the importance of extended family.
- Attending a Toys for Tots fundraiser at Camp Pendleton. I am always happy when I am on a military base. Not only am I so proud of our service men and women but being raised as a Navy junior (as opposed to an Army brat) it brings back so many childhood memories and I am so grateful to be included in this annual event.
So what made you happy in November?
Time spent with this curly haired munchkin makes me happy all the time. How much do you pay your hairdresser for hair like that?
While I am not a big fan of Halloween, much to the dismay of my daughter when she was younger, I do love the month of October. It is filled with changes and anticipation and somehow seems a bit more relaxed than the previous months of summer. Like all of you, my October was busy and full of big things and little things and these are some of those things that made me particularly happy:
- Working with my old friend, John, on a staging project. He is a dream to work with and someone I personally admire. If you live in the San Diego area and need furniture built, a house painted, light fixtures hung or any of the myriad of small things I ask this very patient and talented man to do, let me know and I will put you two in contact.
- Wednesday night wine with my bestie, Sandy. We pop open a bottle of chardonnay (ok, maybe two) and solve all of the world’s problems in three or four hours. The U.S. Government could sure use us!
- A long weekend in Lake Tahoe. I spent a lot of time there growing up and it was nice to return to smell that fresh air, look at that beautiful lake and see new areas through the generosity of our friends who so willingly showed us around. Not to mention, allow us to spend one of our nights in their beautiful family home that is so warm and inviting. Thanks Mike and Nancy, Ali and sweet Cameron!
- Carving pumpkins with my two little grandsons. I do not get to see them often so it was fun to spend some time with them even though, if truth be told, we did most of the carving while they ate sugary snacks and watched a movie.
- Going to a Saturday matinee of Jersey Boys with my husband. Fun music with my favorite date was the perfect recipe for a fun afternoon.
- Picking up my 2 and 1/2 yr old granddaughter from pre-school. Does anyone ever get tired of seeing a young one run to them and jump into their arms and give them the biggest hug as if she has not seen you in years when, in fact, is has only been a few days?
- Changing leaves. If you look hard enough you will find plenty of colorful leaves on trees scattered throughout San Diego. The glorious shades of red and gold always make me smile as I remember chilly fall days walking to school.
- Great news from my husband’s doctor. This made me happiest of all. We had a bit of a cancer scare and a rough week or so until the results came in but all was clear and we were, obviously, thrilled to hear the news.
- Lunch with girlfriends. There is nothing quite as delightful as a mid-week lunch with an old friend, just catching up, laughing and making plans to get together again soon. I am fortunate that my schedule allows me to enjoy this treat a couple of times a month with various friends and it is something I always look forward to.
- The obvious…trick or treating with the scariest 2 month old pirate and the prettiest Serena the pirate witch I know. While I enjoy holidays, they are always so much more enjoyable through the eyes of a child and it renews my faith in just about everything when I see the world through their eyes.
What made you happy in October of 2014?