I know—the weather is telling us it is still summer! But I am a lover of all things Christmas and IMHO, one can never have too much red and white with a sprinkling of green during the month of December. I love holiday plaid, sappy Christmas movies that always feature a snow-filled setting and a Santa that makes us all wonder if Santa really does exist, and holiday music. In my house this music starts playing as soon as I can find it on the radio, and the movies, which begin the day after Halloween, are watched over and over and over again. Holiday decorating is one of the joys of the season so here are just a few items that are on my decorating list this year:
- A set of these electric snowflakes will be hanging from my front deck all through the winter.
- Since my daughter and son-in-law will be spending the holidays in London and Paris (oolala) we will not be doing the complete decorating thing this year. But, along with the snowflakes (my favorite) will be a small staked outdoor tree that will add a hint of twinkle to the exterior.
- Setting the table is one of the delights of holidays. I especially enjoy doing it when the meal is catered! The old-fashioned design of this pitcher would be so cute filled with orange juice or milk for that Christmas morning breakfast and add a festive touch when paired with plain white dinnerware you probably already own. Fill with cold water and place on the bedside table in the guest room or, if you are like me and cooking is not your thing, fill this pitcher with some beautiful flowers or greenery for an instant centerpiece.
- Pompoms are everywhere this year. What is it about these fluffy balls of yarn that seem to capture all of us? These faux fur pompom throws will up the cozy factor in your holiday decorating.
- Pillows, pillows and more pillows. A grouping of solid velvet pillows is simple and elegant or you can opt for a particular motif you enjoy. In my case, I love displaying snowflakes because they can be used throughout the winter. This design from Crate and Barrel caught my eye and the sparkle will help brighten up those dreary January days. I am going to pair it with an ivory faux fur throw and gray velvet pillow on my off-white sofa that features black contrast welting—-gorg!!
- I love all things plaid in both fashion and home decor. We will all be seeing a lot of plaid for several months in all color combinations but I especially like the traditional shades of red and green sprinkled with, of course, some glitter!
So what do you think? Is it too early to think about Christmas decorating?