The lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer are in full swing, temps are soaring in San Diego and we have been very busy. There have been lots of opportunities for happiness this month, beginning with:
1. A bird’s eye view of fireworks from our friends deck in Big Sky, Montana. Such a great show…what a difference to celebrate the 4th in a state where fireworks are legal! Thanks, Bowlins, for the best 4th of July I have had in a very, very long time!
2. Occasional trips to Home Goods with my local bestie, Sandy. We hit this store up every few weeks just for fun. Sometimes we buy something, sometimes we don’t. But we always cap the morning off with a delicious lunch and plenty of fun conversation. I am doing a bit of real estate staging these days and it is such a good resource for inexpensive artwork, dish towels etc…one stop shopping makes this decorator very happy!
3. Music in the park. What could be better than sitting in the local park with good friends, good wine, good munchies and good music. One of the best parts of summer in San Diego.
4. Yet another road trip to the mountains of Arizona where our friends have a beautiful vacation home. There is just something about evergreen trees and crisp mountain air that makes this girl very happy. I come away with lots of decorating inspiration, that’s for sure!
5. Everything about this picture makes me happy–the daisies, the Picasso style face on the vase, the black and white stripes n the background and, most importantly, the fact that the pic was taken by my daughter in her own kitchen window!
6. Christmas in July. I know this annoys some people but I am happy as can be when I can turn the TV on and watch a Christmas movie and hear my beloved holiday music. This keeps me satisfied until November when I can really get in the mood.
7. The Nordstrom anniversary sale. The prices seem much more reduced this year so I felt compelled to shop a bit more…what a budget minded person I am (not!) My husband got a new suit that was marked down almost $300…how could anyone say no to that? My daughter added a couple of pairs of shoes and a gorgeous tote bag for $35 (I may have to get one myself) and I found a couple of cozy sweaters and some embroidered jeans. And the home decor section was not over-looked…check out these pillows I found–the colors are perfect for fall:
Two of these are on their way to my home for the leather chairs in my family room. The perfect complement to the red leather welting on the chairs
And the colors in this pillow are so pretty…not to mention the tassels!
8. A year ago this month my husband survived emergency open heart surgery with a 15% survival rate! Nothing makes me happier than to report that he is as good as he was before with absolutely no effects from the “episode”, as we fondly refer to it. We celebrated privately with our own “celebration of life” dinner in our backyard, shed a few PTSD tears of relief and reminded ourselves once again of just how lucky and blessed we are.
9. My daughter’s new blog page. She is such a great representative of her millennial generation and her blog promises to be entertaining and informative and just plain fun. Check it out and follow along…you won’t regret it! And be sure to share it on facebook so your friends can enjoy it too. www.pillowtherapyblog.wordpress.com.
10. The lazy days of summer provide plenty of opportunity for backyard barbecues with family and friends…one of my favorite activities. Our weekends have been filled with hosting both. Dinner might be something as simple as grilled hamburgers and hotdogs or something a bit more “elegant” like a charcuterie board (no one puts one together quite like my son-in-law) and some good wine. I have learned, with age, not to wish for the future but, rather, to enjoy the present. I know the chilly nights of autumn will arrive soon enough so I am going to enjoy the amazing, bug-free evenings we enjoy here in San Diego.
What made you happy in July?