You have heard the saying “Jewelry makes the outfit.” Well the concept is the same when it comes to decorating your home. “Accessories make the room.” A room without accessories is like pancakes without syrup….it’s OK but something is missing.
The change of seasons is the perfect time to add new accessories to your home and right now it will bring your spring decorating to life. With a plethora of discount stores and home decor shops, there is something for every budget and every design style. Here are just a few of my favorite accessories to enhance your spring decorating:
- Pillows are always my first go-to when it is time to add personality, color and pattern to a space. They are affordable and available in any color or pattern you can imagine. And, while shopping for springtime pillows, don’t overlook the value of designer details like cording, fringe, tassels and other trims that will add that little extra that will separate your home from your neighbor’s house. Check out this multi-striped pillow. Those colors will work in any color interior and every room needs a touch of black and white!
- Lampshades are often over-looked as a valuable accessory. But these seemingly unimportant items can add beauty and personality to your rooms. Get rid of those inexpensive cream colored fabric shades or, even worse, those awful yellowish plastic items! Replace them with a shade that features a beautiful texture, fun pattern or special detailing like contrast bands. Anthropologie features a variety of lampshades that will add a spring touch to your home.
- Your personal collections are your best resource for seasonal decorating. Take a look at your closets and cupboards and you just might find a selection of colored glass vases, for example, that, when grouped together, look like a curated collection of prized items similar to those shown below. Fill clear glass jars with last year’s bounty of seashells and sea glass and make sure to leave plenty of room for this year’s additions! Swap out those photos of the kids playing in the snow or the holiday ski vacation for photos of everyone in their Easter finery or last year’s tropical getaway or the annual 4th of July barbecue. These memories will make the season even more enjoyable as you anticipate the fun this year’s spring and summer will deliver.
- Don’t forget the exterior of your home. Fresh and colorful flowers in pots or a flower bed, a nicely swept front walkway and porch and a fresh, seasonal doormat will prepare your home for the new season. Take a broom to those porch lights to remove all the spider webs and winter gunk that has accumulated. And maybe it is time for a new paint job on the front door. My advice…step out of our box and select a color that works well with the architecture of your home and just might add a bit of a surprise to all who visit.
- Whimsical items add such a fun touch to any room including the bathroom, kitchen bedroom and living room. This mercury glass fish is one of my favorites this year and you can even add a tealight for a soft glow. After all, who doesn’t need a glowing silver fish in their living room?
What is your favorite way to decorate for a new season?