The dog days of summer are upon us and that is apparent by the heat wave that seems to be gripping most of the nation. But, hey, that’s what summer is all about, isn’t it? Here are ten things that made me happy during this very hot and dry month of August:
- While serving on a week long jury trial did not make me particularly happy, I was pleased at how serious each juror took their responsibility. I am certain the defendant was not happy with our verdict but he can rest assured that he was given every fair consideration. Makes the lawyer’s wife in me happy to see our justice system (flawed as it may be) intact and working.
- Hokey and predictable but every time this spirited little thing runs and jumps into my arms when she sees me makes me extraordinarily happy!
- Trying on wedding gowns for the first time. Not sure exactly how happy this made me but it did make me extremely proud! How does the mother of the bride overcome her mixed feelings of sadness and happiness? I’m working on it!
- Dozens and dozens of unique champagne glasses! The bride wants each place setting to have a different champagne glass for the toast so we hit the thrift stores and oh what fun it was searching for these and looking at the ones others found for us. Anyone need 120 champagne glasses after the ceremony? Free for the taking…
- Baskets, baskets and more baskets. These woven beauties were a design must back in the seventies and I am seeing them more and more in room settings and magazines. Makes this old hippie very happy and I love the texture they add to a wall, table setting or when grouped together on the floor.
7. An article from health.com that listed the 5 friends you need in life made me happy because I discovered I have these types of friends in my life and they are all so special to me in their own unique ways. Here are a couple of mine:
* Comic Relief—how could I choose anyone but Kate who makes me laugh until I wet my pants, but then again, so does Sharon and Colette and Bowlin and Lisa and……oh the laughs we have had.
* Risk Taker—I often envy the things Lisa is so willing and able to do, like dive with moray eels! I dive with no one!
*Loyalist—everyone should have a friend like Sandy who always takes my side and is caring and giving to a fault. Sometimes you just don’t want to hear the practical side of things–am I right?
8. A one year olds birthday party. While I am not big on over the top birthday parties for kids, there is something special about celebrating the very first one. And is there anything cuter than a one year old cowboy?
9. The smell of fall in the air. No doubt it is subtle in San Diego but it is there, especially in the early mornings. I am so over summer and ready for a new season to begin!
10. Planning a road trip. This is my favorite type of travel made even more special as it is planned around hooking up with our besties Ron and Sheryl and Lee and Suzy in Montana and Idaho. May even schedule a trip to Flagstaff Arizona to see our friends new vacation home. And I would be the happiest girl in the world if I saw beautiful fall colors and maybe even a little bit of snow!!