Someone recently asked me if it was difficult to come up with 10 things every month. I answered quickly that, yes, in fact it was very difficult. It would be easy to fill the list with lots of standards things like my daughter, my husband, food on the table etc but that does not require a lot of soul searching. I explained that when I use the word ‘happy” I am not necessarily referring to the jumping up and down screaming with delight happiness, although that could be the case, but more those “things” that gave me joy if even for just a moment. It does take time and the ability to be mindful of your surroundings and in the moment each and every day and that was the whole purpose of this exercise for me, to focus on the positive in order to compensate for all the negativity that surrounds each and every one of us every single day. So give it a try and let me know how easy it was for you to come up with ten things and please, feel free to share with me as I am interested in what happy things happened to you. Now–on with this month’s list:
1. 4th of July. The unofficial start of summer. Even as a kid this was always one of my favorite holidays. Parades, barbecues and, of course, fireworks.
2. Submitting my kitchen design in a contest and having it come in #79 out of thousands of entries. While I did not win or even become one of the top 5 finalists I was thrilled by the recognition. (apologies for the blurry pic)
3. Sun, glorious warm sun, finally broke through after May Gray and June Gloom. Keep your fingers crossed that May Gray disappears for May of 2016!!
4. Christmas in July everywhere you look makes this believer in Santa very happy
5. Taking care of this little granddog. She is suffering from renal failure so we are not sure how much longer we will have her but she is a real sweetie and found a comfy spot for her afternoon nap on my bed while staying with us for a few days.
6. Marking items off the incredibly long and complicated to-do list for my daughter’s wedding next May. With each tick I feel like I have accompished something and one step closer to being ready for the big day. Got the venue, DJ, violinist for ceremony and bridesmaid dresses and made decisions on colors, table settings etc. Now all that is left is photographer, florist, wedding dress, my dress, hotel resos, bridal luncheon arrangements, reception tent lighting, photo booth rental, save the date cards, invitations… as the King says in “The King and I” etcetera, etcetera, etcetera…HELP!
7. Sending out a cry for help (sort of) and having it answered by my incredible friends. I sent out a plea for help in locating 120 champagne flutes all in different designs at thrift stores and garage sales and everyone came through. Kate you are incredible as is Sandy and her bingo buddies who do not even know me. In less than two weeks we are 2/3 of the way there! Love the power of women!!!
8. Rain, rain and more rain in San Diego! While the sunshine makes me happy this rain makes me even happier as we may just end this drought after all. Plenty of flooded streets and overrun rivers and even these little raccoon babies had to climb on top of a freeway sign to get away from rushing water that washed away their home.
8. A successful redecorating project! It is so rewarding for me to see the excitement on the face of friends and clients when they see their rooms come together after all the work they have done. I will share photos once all the artwork is hung so you can see what can be done by adding to and updating your already existing furnishings and treasures.
9. Friends recovering nicely from some pretty serious health problems.
10. Being selected for a week long + jury trial…you decide if this made me happy or not!
What made you happy in July of 2015?