Summer is here offering plenty of reasons to be happy! Here are ten things that made me happy during the first month of summer—June:
1. Winning the naming contest for a new tile pattern from Susan Jablon Mosaics tile. Wouldn’t this be fun in a teen’s bathroom or a fun powder room? winning name–Sweet Sixteen.
2. The Del Mar Fair. We go every year on a mid-week evening and do the exact same things—visit the woodworking exhibit, walk through and smell the cows, ooh and ahhh at the baby animals, look in amazement at the beautiful flower specimens, Rick eats corn on the cob and I eat a cinnamon roll (or two) and best of all, the Swifty Swine pig races!!!! High class all the way!
3. Two third place and one first place awards for one of my design client’s submissions in fiber art at the fair. You can read about her form of art here.
4. The look of surprise on my girlfriend’s face at her birthday party. And it is always fun and interesting to meet new people since Rick and I knew no one at the party except the guest of honor…and ,truth be told, were probably the oldest ones in the room.
5. A good before and after design project. In this case we simply reupholstered and rearranged and repurposed furniture and artwork she already had to create an updated and move livable space. Will share more of this project in a future post but here is a look at part of the “before”
And the incredible “after” reupholstered in a Robert Allen fabric that is no longer available and upholstered by the amazing Pat at All American Upholsterers. We also painted those eighties oak legs in a semi-matte finish to add some contrast and visual “weight” to the chair. Wait until you see photos of the entire room!!
6. Family vacay! Our entire immediate family packed up the cars and headed to Palm Desert for 4 days of swimming, laughing and relaxing in the HOT sun. Nothing like vacationing with a 10 month old and a 3 and 1/2 year old! A good time was had by all even if it was 113 degrees!!!
7. Evenings warm enough to sit outside and enjoy a drink and plenty of conversation with friends.
8. Padres baseball games. While the team is not exactly living up to all the hype delivered at the beginning of the season it is always fun to spend an evening at Petco Park. And my favorite part, besides the hot dogs and soft pretzels, is during the 3rd inning when all of the vets and active duty military fans are asked to stand and be recognized. I am always so proud of all of them, including my Air Force vet husband.
9. I don’t care how bad a day you are having, taking 2 minutes to watch this video will put a smile on your face and bring a joyful tear to your eye. If there is anyone out there who sees this and is not positively affected, please contact me because I would like to know why! My gift to you:
10. Watching my adult kids get along with each other. I think every parent hopes but wonders if their kids will be close as adults. And our daughter Jenna has always been extremely close to her half-brother and a weekend away allowed brother and sister to interact as adults, along with their significant others. Makes a mother proud!