Truth be told, this was a tough one. January is probably my least favorite month; not much going on and it has no real “identity” as a month like most other months do. No holidays to celebrate or even prepare for, no real color scheme associated with it, no change of season etc., etc. But I worked hard at staying positive and finding ten things, pitiful as some of them may seem:
- Celebrating my amazingly yummy granddaughter’s 3rd birthday. She spent it at Disneyland so I was not there but the sheer joy on her face was enough for me.
- Gas prices that continue to drop even though California, in its own imitable way, added more road taxes that became effective Jan 1, 2015 that immediately bumped the price up by 10 cents a gallon. But these lower prices make life so much easier for young people in southern California who need a car to get to work, get their kids to school, buy groceries etc. We do not have a mass transit system to fall back on.
- Mid-week Home Goods buying trip with one of my besties, Sandy. She recently retired so we have the freedom to go whenever we want, thereby avoiding the greedy crowds! We definitely made a deposit there and brought home some goodies that I am certain we did not need, but if you only buy what you need, where’s the fun?
- My new eye glasses. I have had reading glasses for several years now but never needed them for distance–that is until now. Aging sucks!! I was absolutely amazed at how much clearer the TV was now that I could properly see. Ah, the wonders of modern medicine.
- Blooming daffodils for only $2.95 a bunch in the grocery store. They only last a few days once they open but they sure add a bright spot of sunshine to the room.
- Resuming our group dinner parties. We have a group of 6 couples who routinely meet up at a restaurant every couple of months to catch up with each other’s lives, enjoy a great meal etc. For many reasons we have not been able to do this for several months now but we all managed to get together this month.
- Pottery Barn’s washed velvet pillows. I love the luscious new colors that include a soft coral that I think will compliment my new dining room chair fabric and my current obsession with any shade of orange. What do you think?
New dining room chair seat fabric
I told you January was tough—I am short three items. I guess I will make it up and have a super happy February! How was your January?