Or should I say 10 things that made me “thankful” since it is, after all, Thanksgiving.
- Gas prices dropping below $3!!!! I cannot remember the last time we saw these prices. My real question now is whether we as consumers will begin to see lower prices because transportation fees are less and/or lower air fares? Somehow the cynic in me doubts those savings will be passed down. Oh well….it is nice while it lasts.
- Christmas movies all day and all night on The Hallmark Channel!! I am in heaven, especially on those nights when I wake up at 3:00 a.m. and cannot get back to sleep. It”s beginning to look a lot like Christmas…..
- A thank you card from my daughter. Just a quick email while she was waiting to catch a plane but it made my day, my week and my month. When we are raising our kids there are years (think teens and early 20’s) when we wonder if we have done it right. But I am here to assure you that there is nothing more wonderful than to have your 20 something “child” begin to live his/her life reflecting things you taught her and, even better, actually voice their appreciation for no reason, just because they want to tell you what they are thinking. Melted my heart, brought tears to my eyes and all those other things Moms do when they are just so damn proud of their kids!!!!
- Design always makes me happy and this month was full of it. I updated a master bedroom and rescued it from the outdated eggplant and gold and into a softer sage, purple and cream color scheme just in time for my client to undergo knee surgery and rehab in her new bedroom. I also made a few small changes to my own dining room with a new rug and I love this understated but oh so comfy border rug in neutral shades from Pottery Barn. Really brightens the space and I like the unusual square shape.
- A hint of rain in San Diego, with more to come. California is suffering a major drought but, believe it or not, too much sunshine can get awfully boring. Our temps have been warmer than usual and you can hear mumblings from people, especially women, that we are very tired of wearing our summer clothes!
- The San Diego Chargers!!! Their games are truly never over until that final second ticks off the game clock. Can you spell Super Bowl?
- Gymnastics class with my delicious Ella Bella. Our almost 3 year old granddaughter has started gymnastics class and while she is no Olga Korbut (yet) just to witness her unharnassed joy in running around on rubber mats and cross bridges and balance bars with no fear brings joy to me.
- An organized garage. We finally emptied out a storage unit that we have had for over 20 years. Not only a big monthly $ savings but there is something fulfilling about reducing the amount of “stuff” we own.
- The opportunity to get to know our nephew who has recently moved here from Arizona. My how they change over a 20 year period! As we get older we are reminded more often of the importance of extended family.
- Attending a Toys for Tots fundraiser at Camp Pendleton. I am always happy when I am on a military base. Not only am I so proud of our service men and women but being raised as a Navy junior (as opposed to an Army brat) it brings back so many childhood memories and I am so grateful to be included in this annual event.
So what made you happy in November?