While I am not a big fan of Halloween, much to the dismay of my daughter when she was younger, I do love the month of October. It is filled with changes and anticipation and somehow seems a bit more relaxed than the previous months of summer. Like all of you, my October was busy and full of big things and little things and these are some of those things that made me particularly happy:
- Working with my old friend, John, on a staging project. He is a dream to work with and someone I personally admire. If you live in the San Diego area and need furniture built, a house painted, light fixtures hung or any of the myriad of small things I ask this very patient and talented man to do, let me know and I will put you two in contact.
- Wednesday night wine with my bestie, Sandy. We pop open a bottle of chardonnay (ok, maybe two) and solve all of the world’s problems in three or four hours. The U.S. Government could sure use us!
- A long weekend in Lake Tahoe. I spent a lot of time there growing up and it was nice to return to smell that fresh air, look at that beautiful lake and see new areas through the generosity of our friends who so willingly showed us around. Not to mention, allow us to spend one of our nights in their beautiful family home that is so warm and inviting. Thanks Mike and Nancy, Ali and sweet Cameron!
- Carving pumpkins with my two little grandsons. I do not get to see them often so it was fun to spend some time with them even though, if truth be told, we did most of the carving while they ate sugary snacks and watched a movie.
- Going to a Saturday matinee of Jersey Boys with my husband. Fun music with my favorite date was the perfect recipe for a fun afternoon.
- Picking up my 2 and 1/2 yr old granddaughter from pre-school. Does anyone ever get tired of seeing a young one run to them and jump into their arms and give them the biggest hug as if she has not seen you in years when, in fact, is has only been a few days?
- Changing leaves. If you look hard enough you will find plenty of colorful leaves on trees scattered throughout San Diego. The glorious shades of red and gold always make me smile as I remember chilly fall days walking to school.
- Great news from my husband’s doctor. This made me happiest of all. We had a bit of a cancer scare and a rough week or so until the results came in but all was clear and we were, obviously, thrilled to hear the news.
- Lunch with girlfriends. There is nothing quite as delightful as a mid-week lunch with an old friend, just catching up, laughing and making plans to get together again soon. I am fortunate that my schedule allows me to enjoy this treat a couple of times a month with various friends and it is something I always look forward to.
- The obvious…trick or treating with the scariest 2 month old pirate and the prettiest Serena the pirate witch I know. While I enjoy holidays, they are always so much more enjoyable through the eyes of a child and it renews my faith in just about everything when I see the world through their eyes.
What made you happy in October of 2014?