I am always a little slow on the uptake when it comes to what is “hot” these days on television. I have my favorites and I rarely venture any further. So when I kept hearing the phrase “orange is the new black” I was naturally intrigued since orange happens to be one of my favorite colors. Imagine my naive surprise when I discovered that it is a show about a women’s prison and orange refers to the orange jumpsuits they are required to wear. Silly me….I was hoping for a new and interesting decorating show!
While I am sure this show is very good, based on its current popularity, it is not my thing. But the color orange is!!
Orange is one of those colors that people either love or hate. It can be mentally over-stimulating so is avoided in mental health units but can also stimulate appetites and therefore, is a popular color for use in restaurants.
While I am not sure of the origin of the desk shown in the photo above, it looks like a fairly easy DIY project for those of you who have an old desk sitting around. New brass hardware and a high shine coat of paint and you have an unexpected focal point for your home office.
When found in nature you can see how well the color works with all other colors—yellow and gold, any shade of blue and green, red and pink. It is so versatile it could almost be considered a neutral!
And, of course, as the title says–a beautiful compliment to black, especially during the holidays.
But you might be asking how you can use orange in your home. Well never fear–here are several suggestions:
- While I am somewhat tired of this color combo, orange and turquoise remain very popular and is a slam dunk for those of you who want to liven up a beach house or child’s room.
- Orange and pink spell preppy with a capital “P”. So cute in a young girl’s bedroom.
- Orange and brown is sophisticated and will warm up a masculine space such as a den or library
- Orange and yellow is a bright and cheerful combo.
- Depending on the shade of green you choose, you can transport yourself back to the days of the Brady Bunch with an orange and green color scheme.
How do you feel about the color orange? Love it or hate it?