Ok…I can hear all of your excuses now
- I can’t afford to redecorate every season
- I like my room the way it is
- I don’t have the time
- Blah, blah blah
So let me, Ms. Design Doctor ( I kinda like that!) solve your problems one by one:
- I can’t afford to redecorate my home every season either but that is not what I am suggesting. You change your wardrobe for the season, don’t you? Chunky wool sweaters are switched out for lightweight cardigans in summer colors; warm weather proof boots are replaced by open-toed sandals and colorful flip flops and cozy sweats are pushed to the back of the drawer while trendy colored denim and cool shorts make their way to the front of the drawers. Well do the same with your home’s decor. How? 1. Take those dark and wintry throw pillows that visually warm the space in the winter and put them in the closet, only to be replaced by sunny and bright florals, checks or solids with wonderful fluffy trim. 2. Remove the quilts and heavy throws and toss a pretty and lightweight throw nearby for those air-conditioned afternoons spent relaxing with a good book. 3. If you have silk flowers, get rid of them! Fresh flowers are a must in every home and trust me when I say you can afford them. A bunch of sunflowers could last a couple of weeks and set you back just a couple of dollars at the grocery store. What could be more summery than that? 4. If possible, remove heavy drapes and hang sheers that can blow in the breeze or roll up dark wool throw rugs and add wonderful textural rugs made from natural fibers like sisal or jute. 5. A dark wood end table can be replaced with a wicker stool or chest–add a mirror to the top to reflect all the sunlight and you have an easy to change coffee or end table.
- I like my rooms the way they are also. However, a little change is good for the soul ( I can’t swear by that but it sounds good) The addition of a new trendy color in the form of a small vase, pillow or even a small painted furniture piece will not dramatically alter the look of the room but can still provide a touch of summertime. You might enjoy the look of a new table lamp with a burlap shade, for example, and decide to keep it all year long. Or really step out of your box and add a piece of painted furniture, very trendy right now, in a fun shade of yellow or chartreuse green if you dare!
- Time. This is always a touch issue. I will admit that it takes time to shop for items, make decisions etc. But let’s be real, there is always time for shopping. You can glance through a magazine or surf the web during a lunch break or train ride to find summer inspiration. You already know what colors you are drawn to this season…don’t think so? Then take a look in your closet…need I say more?
So lighten up….it is easy and even enjoyable to dress your home for warmer temps and I dare say you will be looking forward to the upcoming fall and winter season and thinking about changes you can make at that time. Have fun!